Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning in Rutland, VT
Your pet’s teeth are the gateway to their overall health and well-being. When teeth are uncared for, it opens the door for bad breath, tartar build-up, and more serious dental problems that can affect your pet’s systemic health. At Rutland Veterinary Clinic and Surgical Center, we encourage proactive dental care that includes a plan for home as well as routine cat and dog teeth cleaning at our practice in Rutland, VT.
Does your pet have bad breath?
Freshen them up with a professional teeth cleaning!
How We Keep Your Pet's Teeth Clean
One of the most important ways we stay on top of your pet’s oral health is at annual exams. We perform a dental evaluation at every exam and will recommend a dental cleaning if we find signs of dental disease. Our cat and dog teeth cleaning services require general anesthesia for the safety of your pet and to ensure we give them the most thorough cleaning.
Dental cleanings include:
- Digital dental X-rays to evaluate the health of bone and roots below the gum line
- Ultrasonic and hand scaling to remove stubborn tartar on teeth
- Polishing of each tooth to smooth the enamel and reduce future tartar build-up
- Extractions of teeth damaged beyond repair*
*The goal of our proactive approach to dental care is to prevent disease altogether so your pet never needs extractions.
How to Clean Your Pet’s Teeth at Home
Brushing your pet’s teeth on a daily basis is the single most effective way to prevent the build-up of plaque and tartar. However, we also understand that not every cat or dog is amenable to teeth brushing! Luckily, there are some other options including:
- Using a finger brush or gauze strip instead of a toothbrush
- Dental treats such as CET chews
- Water additives
- Prescription dental diets
Talk to us at your next appointment about all your dental home care options, or call us today!